Monday 15 December 2008

THE EDITOR WRITES BACK


After a suitable pause -- during which I thought I'd be able to relax, but have actually been busy with short stories, a possible new collection, and related stuff -- my editor at Eos/HarperCollins, the wonderful Diana Gill, has got back to me with her comments on the second Raine's Landing novel, 'Night of Demons.' She has a few minor suggestions -- that's her job -- and I'm following up on those. But her overall reaction was as follows:

"I really enjoyed returning to Raine's Landing, and think we have a great start here. I think you've got a great set up with the magic and voices, the adepts etc.. And I particularly love the opening -- it's so creepy and effective, and utterly pulls you into the story."

Which is the kind of response that makes a writer go all warm and fuzzy inside. Ah well, nose back to the grindstone.

By the way, I've been receiving a good number of emails recently from readers telling me how much they enjoyed 'Dark Rain.' And one correspondent in particular suggests that I include more about Cass Mallory in later books. No need to worry on that score. Cassie's just about my favourite character, and there's plenty concerning her in Book #2, both about her current circumstances and her dark earlier history with the motorcycle gang.

No comments: